Medical Assistant (CMA) - LV Family Medicine Clinic - Full Time 9 Hour Alternate Schedule Days (Non-Exempt) (Non-Union)
University of Southern California (USC)
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Internal Number: REQ20145015
Escorts patients to exam rooms, obtains and appropriately records patient vital signs/medication list, monitors patient flow, assists physicians with minor clinical procedures, performs EKGs, prepares patient chart with pertinent medical information. Schedules diagnostic tests ordered by the physician as needed. Performs various office and clerical duties. Ensures patient's right to privacy, safety, and confidentiality is maintained. Maintains a safe environment in accordance with standards, policies, and safety regulations. Ensures compliance with infection control policies. Other duties as assigned.
1. Determines patient care needs and directs patients accordingly.
2. Ensures patient charts are prepared prior to appointment including x-rays and pertinent lab work, makes arrangements to obtain any special equipment needed. Sets up exam rooms, assists physician with exams as needed, monitors patient flow.
3. Prepares patients for examinations. Obtains and records vital signs.
4. Ensures health care delivery areas are fully stocked, organized, cleaned, and disinfected.
5. Maintains files and records, oversees equipment and office supply inventory. Photocopies, collates, faxes,, mails. Reads and prioritizes incoming mail. Handles or routes as appropriate.
6. Ensures that physician orders for medications and treatments are implemented by the appropriate staff.
7. Provides coverage/relief for co-workers. Communicates directly with co-workers the status of all patients when providing coverage.
8. Assists the physician with exams and procedures.
9. Records patient information in chart//EHR according to Joint Commission standards. Maintains a professional demeanor.
10. Obtains blood sample specimens by venipuncture or capillary methods in response to requests for testing by clinicians, with appropriate consideration for the age of the patient.
11. Receives and screens specimens with regard to acceptability as defined by established guidelines.
12. Processes, distributes or packages all specimens received.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Req High school or equivalent
Req Specialized/technical training Graduate from an accredited school of Medical Assistant Certificate/Diploma program.
Req Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
Pref 1 year; Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience Experience in acute care setting
Pref Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Pref Familiarity with word processing, GECB, COR, Cerner, ProSolv, and scheduling software is preferred.
Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
Req Certification - Job Relevant Current Medical Laboratory Personnel License NV. If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire, and maintained by renewal before expiration date.
The hourly rate range for this position is $17.50 - $27.01. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidates work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations.
As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.