About the Company: Come join the winning team at SummerHill Homes as a Director of Development. SummerHill Homes, founded in 1976 develops and builds upscale in-fill single and multi-family residential for-sale communities in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. With revenues of over $300 million annually, SummerHill Homes is a member of the nationally acclaimed Marcus & Millichap family of companies. We are poised for dramatic growth and are currently in need of a strong, experienced and highly professional Director of Development. For more information about SummerHill Homes, please visit www.summerhillhomes.com.
Job Description: The Director of Development is responsible for leading and directing all aspects of the project business plan for the projects for which they are responsible. Projects range from single-family communities to small, single-family, entry-level products and multi-story townhome projects. The Director of Development will carry out entitlement projects and will also oversee project consultants. Qualified candidates will have extensive experience with project entitlements for residential development. Experience working on the development team for a home builder is preferred. The Director of Development will work from the SummerHill office in Palo Alto, CA, and report to the SVP of Development.
Evaluate potential development opportunities sourced by the Acquisition Team
Conduct due diligence reviews including site design, hard and soft cost estimates, evaluation of zoning and entitlement requirements, environmental, geotechnical, legal, and title reviews, engineering constraints, etc. (Risk Evaluation)
Participate in the analysis of feasibility and the preparation of the Investment Memorandum (GO Package)
Establish project program requirements in consultation with other groups: finance; property management; accounting; risk management
Secure necessary local, state, or federal entitlement and permit requirements: zoning, planning board, environmental, building permits
Contract for and manage all consultants during the entitlement process: architect; landscape architect; zoning attorney; civil engineer; etc.
Monitor and update financial reporting for cost and schedule (proforma, monthly finance meetings, approval of project and company expenses, etc.)
This position must spend a great deal of time outside of the office, i.e., at meetings with governmental agencies, and design teams, as well as at community meetings, and site visits while maintaining constant communication with the office and meeting both project and internal reporting deadlines.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with a focus on business or real estate
7 - 10 years of experience with project entitlements required; strong experience taking residential development projects from inception to completion is also required.
Computer literate with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, including MS Excel
Experience mentoring staff and leading outside consultants; effective collaborator
Must have a solid technical understanding and experience with residential design and construction
Must have strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills; strong negotiator
Professional demeanor with strong work ethic, customer service oriented, politically savvy
Good organizational skills, excellent judgment, and decision-making
The compensation plan for this role will be commensurate with the skills required for the position. As such, it will be comprised of a base salary and an annual performance-based incentive which is determined upon individual and portfolio performance. The Company offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
Paid Time Off + Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Time
401k + Employer Contribution
Medical (H.S.A./HDHP option w/ Employer Contribution)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Group Term Life & AD&D
Buy-Up Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Depending on the role, other benefits such as commissions, educational assistance program (tuition reimbursement), referral program, and/or car allowance may be applicable.
Marcus & Millichap Company ('MMC') is a privately held organization, based in Palo Alto, California, with a diverse family of operating companies under its umbrella. Each MMC company is a distinct fusion of real estate specialization and innovation powered by a culture of loyalty that permeates throughout. MMC’s operating companies are in the real estate service, real estate investment and real estate development spaces. Our companies have revolutionized numerous real estate practices and set the standard of success as a result of an unwavering focus on long-term, sustainable growth, as well as a unique blending of entrepreneurial drive with institutional discipline.
Our Operating Companies:
- MMC Technology Ventures (‘MMCT’): We primarily invest in post-Series A rounds, and we are committed to helping early-stage companies grow through utilizing their products internally and introducing entrepreneurs to MMCT’s vast network of real estate professionals.
- Meridian: We are a full-service commercial developer and provider of real estate services. Our team of experienced and talented real estate professionals provide comprehensive commercial building solutions and leads the wa...y in the development of modern building facilities.
- Pacific Urban Investors (‘PUI’): We are an industry leading multi-family investment firm and pension fund manager. We are focused exclusively on the multi-family rental space.
- Hanover Real Estate Investors: Our niche is providing joint venture equity capital to local and national developers and operators of real estate to facilitate the acquisition, reposition and/or development of multi-family and single tenant properties.
- SummerHill Apartment Communities: We are a developer of multi-family and mixed-use residential projects, specializing in development of the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
- SummerHill Homes: We are a specialty builder of mid-to high-end residential homes in superior settings throughout San Francisco Bay Area focusing on in-fill development locations. We are nationally recognized for our expertise in customizing development plans to accommodate the unique characteristics of a given development site.