| Barclays Overview |
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
We're committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers' and clients' needs. Whether you have family commitments or you're a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
About International Corporate Banking
International Corporate Banking (ICB) sits within Corporate and Investment Bank (CIB) and provides client coverage and origination of Corporate banking products to Global Corporates, Banks and Non-Bank Financial Institution (NBFI) clients. The business is organised around these sectors and regional reporting lines. The client base is diverse, and many relationships are active across Corporate and Investment Banking. ICB client relationships are covered internationally, product capabilities are focussed on UK, US and Western Europe.
About Banks & Non-Bank PSPs
Banks & Non-Bank PSPs (BNBPSP) is a global client coverage team within ICB. It provides client origination and corporate bank relationship and product coverage of bank and broker dealer clients globally, and the Building Society and challenger bank sectors in the UK.
Key products covered are payments and cash management, escrow services, liquidity management and trade finance. The business operates internationally with key jurisdictions being UK, Western Europe, US, MENA, and Asia. Clients are covered by regionally based named relationship directors where clients are head quartered. Many clients are jointly covered by ICB BNBPSP and the Investment Bank coverage and markets teams, with whom there is close coordination to deliver the firm to the client.
BNBPSP has seen significant growth over the past ten years, and this has been achieved through a focus on developing a client relationship team with deep industry sector knowledge, a clear strategy and risk appetite, a strong performance driven culture combined with a franchise culture focussed on where BNBPSP can provide value for our clients and the Group.
The BNBPSP and ICB team has consistently delivered strong Your View results and the key performance metrics for the business (revenue, costs, client planning and returns) have all performed strongly.
Looking forward the opportunities for BNBPSP are to work within the CIB construct to drive closer cooperation and coverage of the CIB client set and further develop the substantial and long-standing relationships we enjoy around the world.
------------------ Overall purpose of role
The Region Head: Global Affiliates & Core Banks - UK Coverage is a senior role in the Global Banks business within Banks and Non-Banks PSP division of ICB. The role holder will manage two coverage teams, namely the Global Affiliates team in the UK and the Core Banks team also in London.
This section should be ideally 4-10 bullet points detailing the key accountabilities of the role. Where applicable this should include reference to the following; level of accountability, ownership and/or influence on policies and strategy; quantify any financial accountability /budgetary requirements; likely timeframe of role activities; the impact of the role on the team/organisation.
- Set and own FI coverage corridor strategy for Sub-Sarah Africa and Israel
- Manage the coverage bankers to execute against Global Affiliates strategy and Global Banks strategy, ensuring full adherence to the Correspondent Banking Business Appetite.
- Ensure UK Affiliates business has the right SOPs in place, and regularly update existing SOPs on an annual basis.
- Feed into the annual update for the Correspondent Banking EDD Procedures, particularly the Global Affiliates procedures in the Appendix.
- Chair the Global Correspondent Banking Risk Forum (CBRF).
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
Decision-making and Problem Solving
- Effective communicator with highly developed influencing skills - able to engage and partner across Barclays with teams of high performing individuals. Demonstrate emotional intelligence in dealings with others.
- Working closely with IB coverage bankers, and Network Management teams, at times dealing with MDs to ensure coordinated coverage of affiliate key clients.
- High impact - ability to influence others, for the benefit of the business. Challenge the 'norm' in order to ensure more effective ways of delivering to clients.
- Develop constructive and influential senior relationships with key business partners specifically:
- Middle Office
- Fin Crime Advisory
- Network Management
- BX (Servicing and Payment Operations)
Risk and Control Objective
- Comfortable dealing with large volumes of structured and un-structured data to develop appropriate solutions & recommendations to leadership and other senior stakeholders.
- Developed business skills and strong profile with internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated history of setting and consistently exceeding targets and team objectives.
- Professional, values driven approach, and leads by example, particularly when operating through change.
- Demonstrates insight and initiative when approaching challenges and be driven to consistently deliver high performance
- Capacity to understand internal and external dynamics and to adjust approach accordingly, particularly during changing credit, AML and business risk appetites.
- Key awareness of regulatory, political, and reputational sensitivities attaching to clients and industry segments and ability to align behaviours accordingly
- Technically sound and able to analyse situations to create best outcome for Barclays, team and the client.
- Regular exposure to complex clients and situations
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise-Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
- Signing off on the periodic KYC / AML reviews of the UK affiliates portfolio.
- Supporting team to protect and mitigate risks in the business including, inter alia:
- New and existing affiliate relationships
- KYC at onboarding
- Periodic refresh
- Understanding expected business profile to allow appropriate monitoring
- Ensure compliance with mandatory Risk policies and procedures relating to credit conformance and regulatory, operational, legal risk and Financial Crime.
- Escalating significant risk events and concerns to the Head of Team as soon as these are identified
- Monitoring and ensuring effective risk management of portfolio, incl. AML, Credit, and Operational risks.
- Create and conduct presentations to Senior Management and Local Governance & Oversight Committees on material issues relating to your business
- Act as escalation/referral point for Financial Crime Compliance, KYC Operations and senior business management on matters relating to clients in your business.
- Operating in accordance with Barclays Group risk appetite and lending procedures
- Ensure robust on-going monitoring and control and that sound judgement is always exercised.
- Ensure high standards of data quality are always maintained
- Contribute to and update various FI & Affiliate policies and procedures.
Essential Skills and experience required to undertake the role:
Purpose and Values
- General banking skills including the ability to discuss strategic financial solutions, specifically cash, trade and liquidity with clients, peers, and senior leaders.
- Developed Business awareness-to include impact of general economic change on an Affiliates & FIs business
- Strong CIB Product Knowledge
- Strategic thinker, with ability to see the bigger picture and broader impact of decisions
- Comfortable dealing with fin crime and compliance topics.
- Effective Negotiation & Diplomacy skills to deliver mutually beneficial outcomes across different stakeholder groups, and at times competing interests,
- Developed Inter-personal skills. Can work well in a team and matrix management structure
- Strong Communication skills, both oral & written
- Good grasp of core IT programmes including word, excel, outlook, power point.
- Institutions client relationship management skills with high attention to detail
- Self-motivated and well organised.
- Previously undertaken a customer facing role covering large corporates or FIG clients.
- Demonstrated ability work and deliver to tight deadlines
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.