| S&P Global Commodity Insights - Energy Advisory Services |
The Role: Principal Consultant, Power and Renewables
The Team: this position would be on the fast-growing European team of the Global Power Consulting Practice in S&P Global Commodities Insights division. We advise clients on power markets and custom scenarios (supply, demand, prices, transmission), asset transactions (primarily renewables assets due diligence), power economic analysis, regulatory impact assessments, and supporting our clients' understanding of the increasing interdependence between power markets and adjacent value chains such as mobility/transportation, hydrogen production, fuels consumption, energy storage, etc.
Our clients range from leading power developers, utilities, integrated energy companies, technology companies, regulators, governments, and investors. We will continue leveraging our extensive regional experience, capabilities, and synergies with other S&P Global teams, including electric power and fuels research, to deliver an aggressive growth plan in the next three years.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and fast-growing team of consultants and experts with wide-ranging backgrounds in energy and the energy transition. The varied and changing nature of the consulting market leads to the development of a diverse set of skills and exposure to different industries and clients, including senior industry leaders and policy makers.
What We're Looking For:
- Participate in consulting project development and delivery, leading power supply, demand, and price forecasts
- Apply energy industry knowledge into various European markets as driven by different consulting projects and client needs. Project work would entail supply-demand power modelling, legal and regulatory framework analysis, entry strategies, scenario energy planning, power generation economics analysis, reliability studies, and asset due diligence and valuation. The main geographical focus will be in Europe
- On a needs basis, support other S&P Global teams such as the North American or Middle-East and African Power Team in terms of market projections; regulation tracking; economic assessments; economic competitiveness of various power sector supply resources; tracking power market design evolution; and supply and demand fundamentals
- Deliver insights through written reports, presentations, and client interactions
- Participate in client or industry events and share key takeaways that impact the consulting team's work and priorities
- Lead client meetings and presentation of a project's reports
- Support business development (BD) in the region by preparing pitch decks and getting involved in BD and project scoping meetings
- Some travel is required on average around 15% of the time (but could occasionally be more)
The Location: Paris
- Preferred Engineering or Economics bachelor's degree or another highly quantitative subject. Graduate degree in Engineering and/or Economics preferred.
- Experience maintaining and developing large models of complex systems
- Understanding of power dispatch and demand modelling, including understanding of third-party power dispatch software, such as Plexos and Aurora
- At least 5 years of power experience typically acquired by working in industry, government, research, or consulting. Highly desirable to have experience in European power markets either via industry or in an advisory capacity
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated experience in using structured methods and data analysis to derive market insights and messages. Must have an analytical frame of mind and be prepared to use data to back up opinions
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and programming languages (at least VBA; Python and SQL preferred)
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English and knowledge of several other European languages is a plus
- Effective interpersonal skills to enable communication and collaboration with colleagues and clients
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment and to navigate in a matrix organisation
We pride ourselves on our agility and diversity, and we welcome requests to work flexibly. For most roles, flexible hours and/or an element of remote working are usually possible. Please talk to us at the interview about the type of arrangement that is best for you. We will always try to be adaptable wherever we can.
S&P Global delivers essential intelligence that powers decision making. We provide the world's leading organizations with the right data, connected technologies and expertise they need to move ahead. As part of our Team, you'll help solve complex challenges that equip businesses, governments and individuals with the knowledge to adapt to a changing economic landscape.
S&P Global Commodity Insights enables organisations to create long-term, sustainable value with data and insights for a complete view on the global energy and commodities markets.
S&P Global Commodity Insights - Energy Advisory Services is a leading provider of strategic, market, and technical advice to energy companies, investors, and government entities.
Why work for S&P Global Commodity Insights
Our Benefits: We invest in our success as a company by investing in our people. At S&P Global, we're committed to comprehensive, competitive benefits for our people. We provide benefits to support the health and financial needs of our people while helping make their working life experience more rewarding. S&P Global offers flexible work arrangements that provide practical solutions to help our employees balance their many commitments. To further support parents, our enhanced parental leave offers the same leave time to all parents regardless of gender, welcoming a child through birth, adoption, foster, or surrogacy, which will be 26 weeks of paid leave or the current statutory minimum by country, whichever is higher (15 weeks of the countries legal maternity coverage plus additional 11 weeks Company pay is paid at 100% of basic salary).
S&P Global offer a flexible working environment with our anchor/flex working model, a well-being allowance, wellbeing programs including online fitness sessions and more.
*Some benefits are subject to enrolment and locations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
US Candidates Only: The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), BSMGMT202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group)
Job ID: 283400
Posted On: 2023-03-10
Location: Paris, France