| Overview |
ABOUT BNY MELLON
BNY Mellon Investor Solutions is the firm's institutional multi-asset solutions provider with over $26 billion in total assets as of December 31, 2022, across retirement plans, foundations & endowments, family offices and financial intermediaries. The primary business verticals are multi-asset solutions, including Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO) services on a discretionary and advisory basis, model management, and private market assets, supported by a robust manager research framework. The investment team is located in New York, Pittsburgh, Boston and London. From establishment in 2020, the business has expanded rapidly and is seeking a Senior Operational Due Diligence Analyst to join the Investment team.
Operational Due Diligence is an evaluation of an investment manager's non-investment risks, including business, operational, compliance and fund-specific risks that can materially impact client accounts beyond the investment proposition. The Operational Due Diligence team is seeking an analyst to identify and assess operational risk factors of prospective and existing investment managers operating a wide range of strategies in both alternative (hedge fund, private equity, private real estate) and traditional (mutual fund, UCITS) investment structures.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
- Qualitatively review and assess business, compliance, operational, and fund-specific risks associated with traditional and alternative investment managers on the BNY Mellon Investor Solutions and/or Wealth Management platform by conducting on-site, virtual, and desktop reviews of investment managers.
- Coordinate and lead operational due diligence reviews with key professionals at investment managers, focusing on several areas including, but not limited to, organizational structure, personnel, trade/deal flow processes, valuation, cash management, regulatory compliance, information technology, background checks, and third party service providers (e.g. administrator, prime brokers, custodian, auditor).
- Analyze documentation including offering memorandums, financial statements, regulatory filings, marketing materials, due diligence questionnaires, internal control reports, valuation policies and compliance policies and procedures
- Identify key areas of operational risk and recommend mitigating controls to investment managers, as needed.
- Prepare written reports for internal distribution documenting the due diligence performed, findings and recommendations to support conclusions.
- Present summary conclusions to internal stakeholders and investment committees.
- Conduct ongoing monitoring activities to identify any material risks across the investment advisors and products.
- Participate in production of white paper research for distribution to clients.
- Proactively identify and lead efforts/projects to evolve the team's practice in operational due diligence.
- Support presentations of the due diligence program in meetings with current and prospective clients.
- Stay current with industry best practices and key events across applicable areas (e.g. regulatory, technology/systems, trading).
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required, MBA preferred.
- Minimum 8+ years of experience in a business analyst, alternative investment manager research, operations, audit, legal, compliance role within financial services, including Operational Due Diligence experience.
- Knowledge of private equity / real estate / hedge fund strategies and operational best practices of the industry.
- Ability to articulate concerns/issues effectively to internal and external senior investment management professionals and compliance professionals.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to formulate and support a documented thesis.
- Ability to support ongoing reviews and take the lead on ad hoc projects while maintaining accountability and ensuring that expected deadlines are met.
- Ability to professionally represent the firm required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, knowledge of Backstop CRM platform preferred.
- Familiarity with various global regulatory and compliance regimes, rules, and regulations preferred.
- Familiarity with investment best practices and market developments with respect to operations, accounting, technology, and compliance preferred.
- Willingness and ability for domestic and international travel (up to 20%).
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.