CAIA's Career Center is an easy-to-use, comprehensive resource connecting job seekers with employers in the growing AI field. Use your knowledge and credibility to advance your career or build a talented team for your organization. Opportunities targeted to CAIA Charterholders are prioritized.
In order to search for jobs specifically for CAIA Charterholders or those pursuing the CAIA Charter please enter “CAIA” in the search panel.
This will enable you to search for CAIA specific roles globally.
About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
· Act as second line risk control owner for operational risk for business and functional activities or processes performed in the country under SCB AG and the region.
· Monitor the local execution within the country-level processes; and adherence to global policies, control standards and process governance set out by global process owners and risk control owners.
· Monitor compliance to the Board approved risk tolerances and effectiveness of the risk controls; escalate material exceptions to the senior management and County Operational Risk Committee.
· Guide through example and embed the Group's/ SCB AG's values and code of conduct in the Operational Risk function to drive adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees.
· Continuously assess the strategy and growth versus the internal operational risk profile and external environment; and inform the development of the business plans, products and process infrastructure.
· Act as first line process owners, for relevant operational risk processes, as defined within the Group's/Countries (SCB AG) Process universe. As first line process owners, be accountable to other risk control owners for implementation of policies and control standards set by Risk Control owners and ensuring compliance, and operate within the risk tolerance and risk appetite set by risk control owners.
· Ensure implementation and usage of the Operational Risk Framework across the critical processes and activities performed within the country.
· For new processes included to the process universe, validate and challenge gross risk and residual risk assessment for resulting critical processes, including control standards and key risk indicators for continuous monitoring of the operational risk profile.
· For existing processes, validate and challenge as relevant changes to gross risk assessments due to underlying process changes. Continuously validate and challenge changes to the residual risk assessments based on recent exceptions from control standards and key risk indicators, and other relevant internal and external factors.
· Review, challenge, recommend or approve (within delegated authorities) Residual Risks and risk acceptance plans for operational risks rated as medium, high and very high.
· Monitor and report material changes to the operational risk profile, and escalate material exceptions to senior management and risk committees. Monitor compliance to the Board approved operational risk tolerances and effectiveness of the risk controls; and escalation of significant matters to senior management and risk committees.
· Review and challenge the causes of the operational risk events and appropriateness of the mitigation actions. Report and escalate significant operational risk events, and support the preparation of the root cause analysis. Approve (within delegated authorities) and classification of operational risk losses.
· Support in stress testing for operational risks to identify potential vulnerabilities that the GROUP/ SCB AG may be exposed to and development of management action plans.
· Guide 1st line PO / BORM / UORM to achieve sound risk management within SCB AG.
· Properly execute all processes where ORF is the identified first line process owner.
· Support SORO to ensure effective management of operational risks within the Risk function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
· Continuously improve the operational efficiencies and effectiveness of risk management processes.
· Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to Operational Risk's attention
· Support SORO to ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees and to SCB AG / business-level committees as appropriate
· Take ownership for assigned portfolio and ascertain adherence to requirements.
· Support SORO to ensure Country Non-Financial Risk Committee (NFRC) meets on a regular basis to review risk issues in compliance with Group/SCB AG Policy governing such matters and participate on that Committee, incl. effectiveness review
· Support SORO compliance to the Operational Risk framework including the effective application of risk toolkit (self-assessments, KRIs, KCSs, etc) and reporting
· Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in procedures
· Ensure effective implementation & proper usage of Group/ SCB AG Policies / Circulars / Procedures
· Ensure proper execution of the Operational Risk Framework across the critical processes and activities performed within SCB AG.
· Review and challenge causes of the operational risk events and appropriateness of the mitigation actions as well as the risk acceptance plans
· Actively support SORO to ensure that the country consistently and effectively follows the Group's/ SCB AG's standard risk committee structure.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
· Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's/SCB AG's Values and Code of Conduct.
· Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group/SCB AG's Code of Conduct.
· Achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.]
· Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
· Adhere to local regulator prescribed responsibilities and Rationale for allocation.
· Business / Function Heads
· Risk Control Owners
· Global and Country Process Owners
· Internal Audit
· The Group's/ SCB AG's external auditors
· Oversee and maintain all OR related SLAs for SCB AG in respect of outsourced services
Our Ideal Candidate
· Market Knowledge: Substantial experience in the banking industry, including demonstrated success in a similar role.
· Risk Management and Control: Demonstrated track record in successful management and expertise in process design and control.
· Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the Operational Risk function.
· Non-technical Skills: Relationship management experience - with external stakeholders
· Operational risk management experience.
· Business/function experience.
· A clear understanding of the Bank's approach to the management of operational risk, or equivalent experience gained in other organisations.
· Ability to leverage resources across the organisation to complete deliverables.
· Sound judgment and courage necessary to perform a control role and maintain effective working relationships
· German language skills helpful but not mandatory
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages.