CAIA's Career Center is an easy-to-use, comprehensive resource connecting job seekers with employers in the growing AI field. Use your knowledge and credibility to advance your career or build a talented team for your organization. Opportunities targeted to CAIA Charterholders are prioritized.
In order to search for jobs specifically for CAIA Charterholders or those pursuing the CAIA Charter please enter “CAIA” in the search panel.
This will enable you to search for CAIA specific roles globally.
About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
Supports the Head of Legal, Global Business Services to:
· Implement his/her vision, strategy and direction for the GBS Legal team consistent with the Group's strategic direction and growth aspirations. · Provide legal advice, guidance and support to the business units in a timely and effective manner. · Provide functional support primarily for the Legal team in GBS Malaysia; but where required to work on matters involving any of the GBS entities or other projects that require GBS Legal involvement to provide support to the Legal teams in other GBS entities notwithstanding that the work is not performed in the home country. · Establish and maintain frameworks to identify, assess, manage, monitory, mitigate and report legal risks across GBS · Manage or support disputes involving GBS in line with Group requirements. (Note: "Major Disputes" are disputes brought by or against the Bank, or potential disputes threatened against the Bank that:(a) Have or may have a value of USD4 million or more (including interest, but excluding costs); and/or (b) May cause significant reputational impact to the Bank; and/or (c) May cause a significant commercial impact to the Bank. Major disputes are managed by Dispute Resolution Team with support from GBS Legal as necessary. Other disputes involving the Bank are managed by Country Legal team with support from GBS Legal as necessary. GBS Legal manages and/or supports as required to the extent GBS entities are involved in the relevant dispute). · Manage or support cross border investigations and information request order involving GBS in line with Group requirements. (Note: this would be in conjunction with Disputes Resolution Teams on information requests and with the Governmental Investigations Legal for significant government or regulatory investigations)
· Manage legal matters and engage external legal counsels for GBS Malaysia.
· Promote a culture and practice of good culture and adherence to legal and ethical standards within the Group.
Responsibilities Strategy and Leadership · Take responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to business units and stakeholders in GBS Malaysia on all legal matters and, where required, across GBS locations.
· Maintain close relationships with stakeholders including the GBS Management Teams and other committees within GBS Malaysia and to proactively provide them with relevant legal advice, guidance and support on relevant legal and regulatory issues.
· Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards) within GBS Malaysia; lead through example and set an appropriate tone and expectations for the GBS Legal team with regard to good conduct.
· Develop thought leadership capability - as demonstrated by visibility within GBS, the Group, and externally (in the industry) as a senior point of contact for GBS legal-related consultation.
· Comply with the Group Management Responsibility Policy to ensure effective risk management and the implementation of proper controls across the GBS Legal team.
· Take personal leadership of material contentious issues or inquiries faced by GBS by collaborating with the Regional General Counsel, Dispute Resolution, the Global Head of Legal, Government Investigations and the Head of Shared Investigations Services.
· Act as a point of escalation for any Legal issues for GBS Malaysia.
· Support and collaborate with broader Legal function to develop effective strategies for identifying horizon Legal risks across GBS and the SCB Group.
· Support and provide advice to the local teams involved in delivering SCB Group or Country commitment to any remediation program, considering any impact for GBS Malaysia.
Processes · Support improvements to any Country processes where such processes are owned by Legal and where such processes are executed in/by GBS Malaysia.
· Assist with the development of appropriate forms of documentation for transactions in GBS and, where required, support the creation of standard documentation for GBS Legal
· Assist with and support the management of such processes in line with the Group's process universe as set out in the Group's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
· Within the Group's Enterprise Risk Management Framework, maintain an appropriate risk-based approach to assess, measure, monitor, manage and report Legal risks arising within GBS Malaysia.
· Maintain an awareness and understanding of the top risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them.
· Contribute to GBS Legal risk governance by providing perspective on legal risks, policies and procedures and ensuring consistency in GBS appropriate legal risks.
Governance · Support the effective management of legal matters across GBS Malaysia.
· Support reporting to and participate in key risk control committees and management groups on relevant GBS Malaysia legal risks and issues.
· Support the management and provision of reports to relevant Group and business risk and control committees and management groups on key GBS Malaysia legal risks and issues where required.
· Maintain an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the GBS Malaysia operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
· Challenge fellow executives effectively.
· Work with local regulators (when required to do so) in an open and cooperative manner. Regulatory and Business Conduct · Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's values and Code of Conduct.
· Develop and maintain good relationships with internal and external business stakeholders at appropriate levels ensuring an open and cooperative environment
· Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
· Collaborate with other GBS Legal Team members to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Financial Crime Prevention and The Right Environment.
· Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
· Qualified to practice as a solicitor/attorney or barrister/advocate.
· Experience in private practice or in-house of managing complex legal issues.
· Sharp business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural awareness and sensitivity.
· Understanding of risk management techniques.
· Sound judgment of business practices, regulatory relationship management and reputational risk.
· Exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience.
· Personal authority with proven ability to establish relationships and provide strong direction at senior levels of the business and the Group, and with external stakeholders.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
Internal Number: 6113279
About Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.