CAIA's Career Center is an easy-to-use, comprehensive resource connecting job seekers with employers in the growing AI field. Use your knowledge and credibility to advance your career or build a talented team for your organization. Opportunities targeted to CAIA Charterholders are prioritized.
In order to search for jobs specifically for CAIA Charterholders or those pursuing the CAIA Charter please enter “CAIA” in the search panel.
This will enable you to search for CAIA specific roles globally.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and to grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Department Profile The lawyers and other professionals of Legal & Compliance ("LCD") provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the Firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm's businesses.
Team Profile The EMEA Corporate Advisory legal team was established to provide coordinated advice and support to the Firm's UK boards of directors, the EMEA management team and key control functions on governance, legal entity management, internal controls and related regulatory/best practice issues. The team also provides advice & support in relation to strategic transactions and initiatives impacting EMEA.
An additional lawyer is now required to join the team reporting to the Head of the group (a Managing Director). Would suit a general corporate/finance lawyer interested in getting exposure to exceptionally interesting and varied work for a wide variety of senior internal clients.
Primary Responsibilities Initially the core areas of responsibility will be to provide legal coverage on corporate, finance, recovery & resolution and governance related matters.
1. Finance Division Coverage
Acting as key legal contact for Finance division, working closely with Treasury and the Finance policy team, including:
- Advising on regulatory interpretation issues particularly in relation to capital, liquidity and other prudential regulatory requirements, including as they relate to existing or proposed transactions, products, and structures, as required - Advising on preparation of funding documentation for UK group, including any required regulatory submissions and advising on changes required to funding arrangements as a result of evolving regulatory guidance e.g. on TLAC, MREL etc - Advising on relevant capital issuances, restructurings, ad hoc transactional arrangements or Firm initiatives involving Tax, FCG or Treasury.
2. Recovery and Resolution Planning ("RRP") Coverage Acting as a core legal advisor to the Firm's EMEA RRP team including: - Assisting to monitor regulatory developments at a global, EU and UK level to determine impact on recovery and resolution planning in the UK and compliance with ongoing rules - Advising on governance requirements around RRP initiatives as well as the RRP governance framework to be activated in resolution - Advising on and assisting with preparation of relevant RRP related documentation including in relation to funding arrangements - Providing ad hoc structuring advice on proposed transactions or Firm initiatives which may have possible resolution implications - Coordinating Legal input into UK and global RRP related deliverables including Recovery & Resolution Plans and Solvent Wind Down Plans
3. Firm Management & Governance Coverage
- Advising on UK or broader EMEA governance related matters, including working with the Company Secretary group to provide advice on issues related to non-executive directors, boards and board committees - Advising on governance implications of complex regulatory reform and governance/ compliance related initiatives such as the Senior Manager & Certification Regime, etc. - Advising the UK CEO and EMEA Management team on compliance with their regulatory obligations including provision of regulatory attestations - Providing legal coverage for ad hoc strategic projects impacting EMEA legal entities - Co-ordinating with colleagues in USA and Asia in relation to firm-wide governance issues and development of best practice
Skills Required - Lawyer with approximately 8+ years PQE (however all candidates will be considered on merit) - Strong understanding of corporate/finance law and the financial services regulatory regime applicable in the UK is essential - Excellent communication skills, written and oral, with an ability to impact and influence senior colleagues - Team player but able to work independently to drive matters forward and represent LCD - Problem solver with ability to tackle new areas of law without prior experience; - Ability to work under pressure without compromising quality; - Proactive, highly organized, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Skills Desired - Experience of the prudential frameworks applicable to financial services institutions would be beneficial; - Knowledge of insolvency issues and inter-company financing arrangements, including in relation to recovery and resolution, would also be an advantage.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-FH1
Internal Number: 4624803
About Morgan Stanley
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.