CAIA's Career Center is an easy-to-use, comprehensive resource connecting job seekers with employers in the growing AI field. Use your knowledge and credibility to advance your career or build a talented team for your organization. Opportunities targeted to CAIA Charterholders are prioritized.
In order to search for jobs specifically for CAIA Charterholders or those pursuing the CAIA Charter please enter “CAIA” in the search panel.
This will enable you to search for CAIA specific roles globally.
SUMMARY: The Project Portfolio Manager's primary focus is to make the best possible use of IT and business resources to deliver the maximum value and benefits from projects and programs within the bank's strategic portfolio. The position includes ownership for identifying, prioritizing, and coordinating project and program resources engaged with all initiatives within the selected project portfolio. The portfolio manager is a primary resource to the Technical Steering Committee, project/program-related steering committees, and the senior leadership assigned to oversee the portfolio. The position is also responsible for senior executive engagement and reporting on the state and performance of initiatives within the selected project portfolio. The selected portfolio for this position will include projects associated with furthering the goals of the Bank Operations, Digital Banking, Enterprise Risk, Fraud, Risk, Legal, and Compliance departments at BankUnited. Bank Operations includes commercial and residential loan servicing, as well as deposit operations.
This role assumes the overarching responsibility for supporting organizational and IT leadership in their efforts at overseeing, managing and leveraging the entire life cycle of IT investments and initiatives to optimally achieve enterprise goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and special projects may be assigned.
1. Effectively manage portfolio roadmaps (25%) * Facilitate and coordinate the efforts of senior leadership toward the establishment of the project portfolio definition, its structure and processes, from demand management and strategic alignment of projects and programs to portfolio categories and criteria, through evaluation, selection and prioritization; to execution, tracking and measuring the achieved results. * Engage with and conduct quarterly (or at other intervals as specified) reviews with senior business, IT, executives, stakeholder committees, the IT steering committee and other relevant bodies to validate and assess the project portfolio, execute change, and reprioritize to meet business needs as required. * Ensure the oversight and coordination of dependencies across the projects and programs in the portfolio, and resolve or escalate conflicts. * Manage the capital planning process for respective business line(s). Maintain roadmap of project/initiative delivery. Manage prioritization, resourcing and scheduling of requests working with business and IT managers. Assist business line with IT facilitation of strategy. Drive vendor evaluation and selection for new solutions. * Support and advice executives on actions required to balance the portfolio of existing assets and services.
2. Properly manage stakeholder relationships (20%) * Conduct regular meetings with the senior executive bodies to inform and alert them of any issues arising from the performance of the individual projects within the portfolio to assure the on-plan usage and consumption of resources and funding, and to highlight any variances. * Lead reviews of any significant initiatives, projects or programs that are challenged and provide recommendations as to whether it should continue, be significantly changed, placed on hold or discontinued. * Direct the development and maintenance of communications and reporting around the IT project portfolios, their contents and the individual performance of initiatives to stakeholders, the IT steering committee, and senior executives.
3. Ensure governance of the project lifecycle (20%) * On behalf of the portfolio review team and steering committees, ensure the adherence to the appropriate governance functions relating to the portfolio and in accordance with enterprise guidelines, policies and practices. * Perform regular health checks of project QA checklists. Ensure scheduling of key tollgates: planning, risk assessment, UAT kickoff, go/no-go meetings. Ensure acceptance criteria for IT and operational readiness are met prior to go-live. Monitor for proper change management of scope, budget, and schedule. Identify and share best practices. * Direct the creation and maintenance of the required project portfolio documentation and artifacts.
4. Oversee and successfully implement portfolio of projects (20%) * Work with project teams to manage/oversee the full range of the project life cycle (initiate, plan, execute, close) for projects covering a portfolio of projects which focus on the business needs of a specific business line(s) or strategy. Deliver projects according to agreed-upon timeline, budget, and scope. Create strategies for risk mitigation, and formulate complex project/program plans and schedules. * Identify staffing needs. As mandated and resourced by leadership, ensure and balance the availability of the required skills and competencies across project and program teams within the project portfolio.
5. Develop and maintain industry knowledge (15%) * Develop and maintain appropriate banking industry knowledge of common financial services concepts, practices and procedures. Develop and maintain project, program management practices. Obtain and maintain certifications. * Collaborate with senior executives, business and IT to identify opportunities for applying technology developments to the challenges from growing digitalization. * Keep "abreast" of industry technical/ business trends and translating requirements to the Banks information environment.
SENIOR LEVEL RESPONSIBILITIES
* Executive Steering Committee-level presentations * Portfolio Management milestone plans and resource allocation * Accept responsibility for deliverables and timeline commitments.
* Directly supervise the team members * Perform or contribute to performance reviews for project/program managers * Define, develop and execute personnel training road-maps * Mentor junior level staff * Interact with all levels of personnel to determine infrastructure technology requirements. * Manage assigned budget * Contribute to ongoing improvement of organizational project management processes
* Extensive experience managing projects (teams, budgets, schedules) in using bi-modal project management methodologies. Experience with complex IT systems with significant levels of integration and interdependence. Understanding of software development lifecycles and methodologies. (Waterfall and Agile) * Ability to operate at both the strategic and functional level to manage project expectations, perceptions, deliverables and resources. * Ability to effectively interact with all levels of business and technology personnel, including management and end users, providing guidance, support and detailed documentation. * Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate the portfolio objectives, inspire and motivate staff, and maintain alignment to the business strategy. * Possesses a high degree of political sensitivity, astuteness and the ability to effectively use the informal power structure of the organization to achieve success and clear obstacles for the portfolio. * Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and "sell" the portfolio goals and objectives to business as well as technical leadership. * Strong business acumen, including industry, domain-specific knowledge of the enterprise and its business units. Familiar with industry trends and innovation. * Strong analytical, conceptual and financial analysis skills, and familiarity with financial reporting tools. * Highly empathetic and able to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of business and technical audiences, as well as temperaments and personalities. * Effective influencing and negotiation experience and skills in an environment with high competition for resources. * Excellent analytical, strategic planning and execution skills. * Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver against financial and resource constraints. * Familiarity with the use of reporting tools to monitor portfolio activities and analyze portfolio performance. * Strong background and familiarity with one or more project/program management concepts and methodologies across a range of projects and programs. * Understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business and how they may be applied to the enterprise to drive digital business.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Education: A Masters or an Advanced degree on business, finance or technology management.
Experience: * Fifteen or more years of experience in IT and/or the financial services banking industry * Seven to 10 years of diverse roles and increasing leadership responsibilities across major projects and programs * Experience leading projects for banking operations, loan servicing, and enterprise risk departments at a financial institution preferred. * Experience managing Agile software development projects and groups. * Experience with Digital Transformation and customer experience improvement initiatives. * Demonstrated experience in managing "upward" among senior leadership * Demonstrated experience in leading diverse teams * Substantial consulting leadership experience a plus
Certifications: * Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification or equivalent required * Scrum Master Certification required * Program Management Professional (PGMP) Certification preferred * PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) Certification preferred * Six Sigma Green Belt Certification preferred
KEY BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES: This is a senior-level position. The job holder will be expected to demonstrate all of the required competencies at a high level of proficiency. Competency Key Behaviors Leadership * Champions portfolio goals and objectives enterprise wide. * Mobilizes others within and outside the portfolio to support and enable change efforts within individual projects/programs. * Effectively leads cross-functional, cross-department teams to maintain focus, motivation and execution. * Demonstrates ability to guide large, diverse groups to specified goals. * Inspires, motivates and guides team members. * Fosters commitment, team spirit, pride and trust. * Allocates team roles and accountabilities. * Manages conflict swiftly toward a win-win solution.
Business Acumen and Enterprise Knowledge * Solicits information on enterprise direction, goals and strategy to determine how the portfolio best can add value to the organization and objectives. * Makes decisions and recommendations for the portfolio that are clearly linked to the organization's strategy and financial goals, reflecting an awareness of external dynamics. * Can manage the portfolio over a long time frame and keeps the momentum going (stamina). * Is sensitive to rapidly resolving at or near program-boundary issues in a context-driven manner.
Influencing Others * Communicates portfolio objectives and purpose in a persuasive manner that builds support, agreement or commitment. * Takes actions that directly or indirectly influence others to create portfolio buy-in, gain trust, and motivate actions in others or win concessions without damaging relationships.
Strategic Planning and Thinking * Develops portfolio structure and plans that meet the architecture/technology needs of the organization. * Applies external and internal factors to portfolio formulation and development. * Considers business priorities, strategies, goals, emerging technologies, industry trends and economic viability in their portfolio approach.
Building Relationships * Solicits advice, support, championship, sponsorship and commitment to portfolio success across the organization. * Procures and maintains support from key stakeholders in the enterprise to deliver the portfolio value and outcomes. Builds both formal and informal professional networks, and extends these networks within, across and external to organizational boundaries.
Results Orientation * Sets and delivers on challenging goals. * Resolves cross-project dependency issues and problems among project and program managers swiftly. * Sets standards for the portfolio execution in terms of doing what is appropriate and correct. * Ensures that goals are achieved throughout the portfolio life cycle and not only at the end. * Is resourceful, and takes calculated risks to achieve results