CAIA's Career Center is an easy-to-use, comprehensive resource connecting job seekers with employers in the growing AI field. Use your knowledge and credibility to advance your career or build a talented team for your organization. Opportunities targeted to CAIA Charterholders are prioritized.
In order to search for jobs specifically for CAIA Charterholders or those pursuing the CAIA Charter please enter “CAIA” in the search panel.
This will enable you to search for CAIA specific roles globally.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work as risk manager in the Morgan Stanley Electronic Trading (MSET) team based in Japan or Hong Kong. We are looking for high energy, goal driven, self-motivated candidates who have strong and genuine interests in risk management with good analytical skills and firm commitment in striving for excellence. The candidate must be a great team player, able to work effectively and pleasantly with colleagues across the firm and willing to travel.
The position requires someone who understands execution risk and associated risk including technology at a detailed level and works well with the client coverage, product and risk management teams, is an excellent communicator, and who can negotiate with internal and external stakeholders. Qualified candidates need a strong background in electronic trading, risk management and client execution business. The successful candidate is able to understand and analyze complex risk situations, actively manage risk reduction with appropriate escalations. This is an opportunity to work with a fast-moving, talented team, while interfacing with business owners, risk management and technology teams across the Firm.
The role sits inside the equity business, not in business unit risk management (BURM), and will report to Electronic Trading business management. The reporting lines and organizational location are reflective of the detailed involvement in the day to day operations of the execution services business.
Key elements of role:
· Trading Controls a. Management of implementation of client and engine trading limits across equity
o Review limits usage in tandem with coverage productivity and recommend appropriate adjustments to limit thresholds
o Error Management (outage calls, determination of client error fill, trade out and future resolution plans)
o Establish appropriate supervisory structure, execution risk management and desk procedures
o Enforce procedures covering risk checks; limits change policy and management, release of DMA and algorithmic orders into the market.
o Ensure coverage and sales traders are appropriately trained and are exercising appropriate judgment
o Management of information barriers inter and intra desk, client aliasing and coverage groups
· Control Infrastructure a. Strategic direction of trading controls across equity and between regions and products
o Joint-ownership (BURM) of key firm risk infrastructure (CFM, GLM, Handbrake, MIB, DLA)
o Joint-ownership (BURM) of execution services related regulatory initiatives
o Coordinate with MSET product and liquidity management on order handling controls (CRDB)
· Coordination / External Facing a. Proactive coordination with ETRM and Counterparty risk
o Coordinate with global counterparts to ensure best practice
o Liaising with clients to communicate and manage risk controls
o Regulatory face off for electronic trading
o 2 nd LOD resource for execution services business
o Collaborate global client selection policy and manage the client selection process in the region.
o Work with MSET desks in the region to understand the business and regulatory initiatives and help prioritize risk initiatives.
o Maintain roadmaps for the risk initiatives.
As part of the MSET team, the role of the risk manager is to work with desk coverage, product managers / strategists within MSET and others desks in IED and contribute towards business risk initiatives.
Overall, the position requires extensive interaction with MSET and other trading desks, clients, and MS IT teams in the region and globally. As such, strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
At least 6+ years of experience in financial systems/strategy development and 2-3 years of relevant experience in risk management, with primary focus on execution risk management front to back.
· Basic understanding of selling/trading equities, futures, options and other asset classes
· Extensive knowledge of trading risk management in equities, futures & options
· A very good understanding of technology – software technology specifically
· Professional functional specification, use case, process flow diagram and product documentation writing
· Results oriented, "Get It Done" type of person. Self-motivated and disciplined.
· Excellent analytical / problem solving skills
· Excellent project management skills with attention to detail and handle numerous simultaneous large projects, small tasks and ad-hoc requests.
· Ability to work independently and to drive projects to completion, while proactively ensuring project teams and relevant stakeholders are kept up to date and expectations properly managed
· Fast learner with a good memory
· Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to succinctly articulate complex concepts
· Effective time management, relationship management, negotiation and prioritization skills
· Thorough knowledge of componentized applications, data models and referential data sources